PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES, PLUS 5 MINUTES TO SOAK
COOK TIME: 45 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME: 1 HOUR, 30 MINUTES
A great way to enjoy your healthy fats, this silky smooth mousse with lush avocado and fiber-rich chia seeds is just delicious.
Dairy-Free / Low Carb / Gluten-Free / Paleo
- 6 egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup granulated stevia, plus more for serving
- Fresh fruit, for serving (optional)
- Ground cinnamon, for serving (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 avocado
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a small bowl, soak the chia seeds in the water for about 5 minutes, until they form a gel.
- In a food processor or blender, blend the chia gel, avocado, cocoa powder, and vanilla until smooth.
- In a large bowl, whip the egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form. Gradually add the stevia and the chia–cocoa powder mixture.
- Pour into 8 ramekins or a baking-cup-lined muffin tin. Place in a water bath (a larger pan filled with water), and bake for 45 minutes.
- The center will still be gooey. Transfer to the refrigerator for about 30 minutes to chill completely.
- To serve, top with some fresh fruit or sprinkle with cinnamon and a little more stevia (remember to add calories from the fruit to the total).